---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Zimmermann Paul" <paul.zimmerm...@inria.fr>
Date: Oct 4, 2013 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: [sage-devel] imag(CC(infinity)) is 0?
To: "William Stein" <wst...@gmail.com>
Cc: <sage-devel@googlegroups.com>

       William,

[please forward to sage-devel since I'm not sure I'm allowed to post there]

> The implementation of RR and CC in Sage are a very direct wrapping of
> MPFR, which is the most well-thought out efficient implementation of
> floating point real numbers I've ever seen.  It is worth visiting
> http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/mpfr.html and searching for
> "infinity".

thank you for the pointer. However for questions whether Inf should be in RR
or not, the MPFR documentation does not say much. About this topic, I
recommend to look at the discussions around the P1788 standard for interval
arithmetic : <http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1788/>.

Best regards,
Paul