Am Samstag, 5. Oktober 2013 15:50:46 UTC+2 schrieb Volker Braun:

> On Saturday, October 5, 2013 2:03:57 PM UTC+1, David Joyner wrote:
>>
>> My vote would be to certainly allow it to be an experimental package.
>>

> There isn't really too much need for additional work here, what I'm seeing
> in the current patch is mostly adequate. A bit more documentation of
> input/output might be necessary at times.

Thanks for your review of the semimonomial group patch, Volker. So, I will
continue my work on the current patch -- at least for linear codes over
finite fields. But the algorithm can also deal with linear codes over
finite chain rings. I think, this is far beyond the standard
coding theory modules which are currently available in Sage. Maybe, this
part should stay in a separate package? Although I don't like the idea,
that my contribution will rot...

> I'm really against the "experimental spkg" model for code contributions.
> This is just a variant of the "I put the code on my web page and nobody is
> using it" model. The strength of open source is that it extensible, and
> your code can get into the default distribution if it is of sufficient
> quality. That may take some additional time, but in the end you'll end up
> with a solid foundation that you (and others) can base their future work on.
>
> Having said that, we currently do a really poor job at reviewing
> contributions IMHO. Part of this will be better after the git transition
> when you will be able to get code into your working directory without
> copy&pasting URLs from a web page (WTF!!). But besides the technical
> component, we also need to actually review things. And that means that
>
> * You can review code even if you are not the world's expert in the field
> * Not every change actually needs to be reviewed or reviewed to the same
> level of scrutiny, this depends on the author's experience and the change
> in question
> * Review isn't the place for feature requests
> * We should have some system to suggest reviewers based on which files are
> being changed

Let's hope that the community will follow these suggestions.