On Sunday, November 3, 2013 6:51:48 PM UTC-8, P Purkayastha wrote:

> If you check out the branch locally, you can run a
>
> git diff <some other reference point> <this branch head>
>
> to see the cumulative changes.

That's good to know. However, when trying to figure out the history of
code, it's usually not so much the question what has changed, but more when
and (more importantly) why. "git blame" does that, and hopefully the log
entry for the relevant commit tells you where to look further. If that
commit reads "third iteration of typo correction and rollback of latest
change" it's not so helpful and you need to go and look in the log for
commits close by that are more instructive.

Authors may also feel more comfortable to write a fresh history for the
official commit because they don't want their silly little mistakes to be
permanently recorded in sage's official history. Our old patch-based system
naturally catered to that scenario, so I was wondering how git-based
development could.

To accommodate providing "uncluttered" histories I see 3 possibilities:

 1) attach a freshly built branch to a ticket, after detaching the draft
branch
 2) open a fresh ticket and close the last one as won't fix. A fresh ticket
can have a fresh branch for sure.
 3) only attach a branch once code has stabilized and work with patches or
a privately shared branch before.

Of those options, 1) seems the easiest to me, so I was wondering if there
are serious drawbacks to doing so. The other options would work too, but
they have their own drawbacks.