I'd say the working definition of SAGE_FAT_BINARY is "made within the last
10 years".

In particular, it implies SAGE_ATLAS_ARCH=base, which is the slowest
"generic" target. You can build even slower ones on certain architectures.

There is no way to build Sage on every x86 cpu, that would include 16-bit
cpus without MMU...