Surely all Ralf meant was that R[X] is a subring of R[[X]], i.e. some
elements of R[[X]] are exact, just as some decimal numbers like 0.25
are exact (in binary), and just as we might want to define a real
number as having *exactly* the value 0.25 and not just 0.25 +
O(10^-1000) one might want to consider 1+X as an exact power series
and not just 1+X+O(X^1000).

Of course I amy have misunderstood Ralf (or you)!

John