On 2014-04-22, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> On 2014-04-21 10:10, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>> this is not a normal extension, and apparently neither Pari nor GAP
>> can deal with it.
>> Pathetic...
>> Is it really so hard to implement, having the library of permutation
>> groups at hand (from GAP)?
> The hard part is the number theory, not the group theory. If the
> splitting field is very large (that seems to be the case here), then how
> would you represent elements of the Galois group?
I am pretty ignorant about the way(s) these elements become available
in this setting.
The most economic way I know offhand involves generators and relations
(either in the classical combinatorial group theory sense, or in the
sense of "vector enumeration" - when the action is defined "locally"
on a module).
Matrices or permutations aren't often too bad either - depends upon
the sparsity.