> That being said we do not want to register all computable maps on
> startup. So we have to find the good balance between interesting maps
> as "the number of descents in a permutation" and uninteresting maps as
> "the polynomial map 57*n^2 - 18*n +3 from {-12, 1, 42, 2243} to the
> integers".

If all that worries you is this, then I guess that it isn't a problem !
 Why can't we have two versions of the @combinatorial_map (or whatever
else) decorator in the same module, and a line that does :

if some_boolean_variable:
    combinatorial_map = real_combinatorial_map
else:
    combinatorial_map = a_decorator_that_does_absolutely_nothing

This way the information is in Sage, but at absolutely no cost for
everybody when you actually want to USE Sage. And if you want to do
statistics then you run Sage with a special flag that changes the
definition of combinatorial_map ?

Nathann