On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:14:20AM +0200, Vincent Delecroix wrote:
> I agree with you and I think it was already suggested by Simon that
> the maps should not be built on startup. On the other hand, the maps
> that we want to register might not all come from a method.
>
> I created ticket #16408 and drafted a working implementation in
> u/vdelecroix/experimental-combinatorial_map_database. I will now
> gather the ideas from this thread into the ticket description.

Action time, yeah!

But gosh, it's been one year that there is a rather clear consensus
that combinatorial_map should be a noop by default, with nothing
happening. And now we managed to step on each other feet by starting
to work on it right at the same time!

Oh well :-)

Here is the description of http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/16410,
which potentially needs review:

>From the discussions of (TODO: add refs to the threads in sage-devel), there
>is a consensus that, at this point, the combinatorial_map decorator should by
>default return the decorated method as is, in order to have no impact on
>speed. On the other hand, projects built on top of Sage, like findstat are
>welcome to customize locally this hook to instrument the Sage code and exploit
>the semantic information provided by this decorator.

This ticket therefore:

    Defines combinatorial_map as a no-op
    Discuss the purpose of this decorator
    Uses the previous implementation as an example of how to customize
combinatorial_map

Note: this change is slightly backward incompatible since
combinatorial_maps_in_class is not functional any more by default.

Vincent: maybe you can merge this ticket into yours since I put in
quite some documentation? Or maybe we want to do this in two steps, if
you rebase yours on mine? I for myself need to move on to something
else.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/