On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sage Devel,
>
> Sage comes with git, but Sage doesn't come with "git trac".  Why not?
> Is it just that nobody got around to including it, or is this on
> purpose.
>
> http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/git_trac.html#installing-the-git-trac-command
>
> I'm just getting annoyed, due to copying the command from there (using
> Sage's git), and getting
>
> wstein$ git clone https://github.com/sagemath/git-trac-command.git
> Cloning into 'git-trac-command'...
> fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https'
> wstein$ git clone http://github.com/sagemath/git-trac-command.git
> Cloning into 'git-trac-command'...
> fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'http'
>
> So we ship a git that can't even install git trac according to our
> instructions?
>
> Is there any reason git-trac is distributed as a git repo?  Shouldn't
> it just be part of sage's git repo?
>

> I installed it using the system-wide git.  But then:
>
> sage-6.3.beta3$ git trac review 16479
> Fetching remote branch...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/scratch/wstein/sage-6.3.beta3/git-trac-command/bin/git-trac",
> line 18, in <module>
>     cmdline.launch()
>   File "/scratch/wstein/sage-6.3.beta3/git-trac-command/git_trac/cmdline.py",
> line 211, in launch
>     app.review_diff(ticket_number)
>   File "/scratch/wstein/sage-6.3.beta3/git-trac-command/git_trac/app.py",
> line 421, in review_diff
>     diff = self.repo.review_diff(remote)
>   File
> "/scratch/wstein/sage-6.3.beta3/git-trac-command/git_trac/git_repository.py",
> line 271, in review_diff
>     self.git.fetch('trac', remote)
>   File
> "/scratch/wstein/sage-6.3.beta3/git-trac-command/git_trac/git_interface.py",
> line 339, in meth
>     return self.execute(git_cmd, *args, **kwds)
>   File
> "/scratch/wstein/sage-6.3.beta3/git-trac-command/git_trac/git_interface.py",
> line 326, in execute
>     popen_stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
>   File
> "/scratch/wstein/sage-6.3.beta3/git-trac-command/git_trac/git_interface.py",
> line 261, in _run
>     raise GitError(result)
> git_trac.git_error.GitError: git returned with non-zero exit code
> (128) when executing "git fetch trac u/vdelecroix/16479"
>     STDERR: fatal: 'trac' does not appear to be a git repository
>     STDERR: fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
>     STDERR: Please make sure you have the correct access rights
>     STDERR: and the repository exists.
> (sage-sh) 4cff879841d04d9bb516ba106ba89c57@compute8dc2:sage-6.3.beta3$
>

> Is this because I have to setup ssh keys just to *read* a branch?
> Why?  I'm not pushing anything?
>
> Refereeing involves too much overhead.

I'm curious what the step-by-step list is to go from start to finish
to review a ticket.   E.g., starting with

 1. Send an email to "sage-trac-account AT googlegroups DOT com".
 2. ...

and ends with the ticket getting into Sage.    I'm concerned that we
may be loosing development effort due to the process being needlessly
complicated.      We've been loosing my devel effort for that reason
for a long time already.  And my instincts with software are often
that if it is so complicated it scares me off, then it probably has a
similar effect on a lot of other people...

 -- William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics