The title they gave it -- 'William Stein says "Sage has overall

> failed"' -- seems a bit sensational.      I think that if people read
> the blog post they will see that I don't mean that the enormous effort
> that people like Volker, Jereon, etc., are doing, isn't a fantastic
> job.  I'm measuring progress specifically in terms of the original
> mission statement.

To be fair, you did kind of invite that interpretation with a somewhat
dramatic line like that.  Sage clearly IS a viable alternative, and
basically is a replacement at the undergraduate level.   It is not a
replacement for everything - perhaps we need a jump like the combinat and
matroid crowds did in arithmetic geometry?  But neither are they
replacements for Sage at this point, right, in many areas?   Again, Sage is
a viable alternative even for Matlab.  It's not as good for this as Octave,
apparently, and no third-party support etc. - but some people do use it, or
they wouldn't be asking for help.

So I think that it would have been better to say that the statement that
has failed is a viable *replacement* for all four M's.  Well, that would be
a hard goal indeed!  For precisely the reasons you give.  I don't think
that makes Sage a failure, it just makes it different.  Presumably Maple
and Mathematica are not replacements for each other either.

- kcrisman