On Wednesday, August 27, 2014, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <
drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> version and MUCH smaller that a virtual machine image, as one doesn't need
> to include a complete operating system too.
> >
> > That's not true.  E.g., Puppy Linux is around 50MB, and is a complete
> > useful operating system.  In fact, I used to build the Sage VM
> > (targeted at windows) using Puppy Linux years ago.
> >
> >  -- William
>
> OK, but it still doesn't get around the problem one needs to install
> VirtualBox, and the whole process of installing virtual machines is
> really alien to a lot of Windows users.
>
> Personally I find installing virtual machines quite easy and useful,
> but it seems to be a barrier for some at least.
>
> Dave

You are absolutely right about that!   I'm.not arguing for VM's here - just
pointing out that disk space isn't a priori significantly worse because of
that approach.

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington