> Two remarks:
>
> 1. It makes no sense for this post to go to the sage-release mailing
> list.  It should go to sage-flame (or maybe sage-devel).  It

Here is a sage-devel reason.

> 2. > I can cite several reasons for the SAGE has failed and all the
> reasons can still be corrected:
>
> Failed by what measure?  You gave a list of things you don't like
> about Sage. I appreciate your list and the effort you put into it very
> much of course.    Your list suggests I should clarify what I mean by
> "a viable alternative to Magma, etc.". By that I primarily mean the
> truly deep aspects of Sage relevant to *research mathematicians*,

Bingo, please clarify.  To me, "viable alternative" means just that.
 Frankly, why did you include Matlab if you care about research
mathematicians?  Why does "viable" not include useful for all sorts of
research problems, not just some?  (And yes, we can do a lot better there,
obviously, though so can the competitors.) Why does "viable" not include
for all the OTHER things people use Sage for?  You didn't include in your
mission statement "a viable research replacement for" but "a viable
alternative", and that is really a lot different.

But please don't change the mission statement!  Your own personal one can
still be the research piece, that is cool.  But I think Sage has
experienced a lot of the success it has precisely because you didn't see a
problem with sharing with a broader vision than just the research
community.  Sage is unique because it is Free from Freshman year to Fields
Medal.  That is pretty darn awesome, and has motivated a lot of the people
who have poured a lot of hours into it, making it a stable OSS project with
lots of users around the world.  It may not succeed in precisely the way
you want it, but I think there are an awful lot of ways it has.