I really agree with your comments. And in terms of "niche", I would add
that Sage is actually becoming one for combinatorics. I don't say that
everyone in combinatorics is using Sage but I know lots of people
(including me) for whom it would be quite complicated to move to another
language. And we do have lots of high skilled researcher that develop their
newest algorithms into sage and not in the MMMs.

I also agree with externalization and larger communities. That is one of
the reasons I was promoting PyCon here and why I'm organizing these PyCon
Sage days. I think we have a lot to learn and gain from other python
developers and projects.

> For information: we will have a preparatory meeting for this grant
> application on September 8-9th in Orsay. Feel free to join.

Noted ;)

Cheers,

Viviane