> > Bingo, please clarify.  To me, "viable alternative" means just that.
> > Frankly, why did you include Matlab if you care about research
> > mathematicians?
>
> Dima's answered this well.

Quoting on this thread:
> Hey, a large proportion of applied maths (numerical analysis,
optimisation)
> research is done using Matlab.
> E.g. Nick Trefethen (https://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/)
> was the 1st buyer of a Matlab license:

http://blogs.mathworks.com/community/2014/07/29/a-chat-with-chebfuns-nick-trefethen/

Thanks, that is interesting.  I figured those folks would go straight to C
or something else more hard-core.

> >  Why does "viable" not include useful for all sorts of
> > research problems, not just some?
>
> It does.  I'm just giving some concrete examples that I'm familiar
> with.  I welcome people in other areas of mathematics with similar
> functional discrepancies to share the differences between what Sage
> can do and what Ma* can do.

I guess my point is that there is stuff Sage does well and better than the
other guys too.

As to attracting developers for small-audience research stuff:  If you
value your time at $X and the (say) Magma license is $Y, then unless Y is
fairly close to X or you have an externality (such as a commitment to open
source for math proofs) that lowers your utility when you use Magma,
probably it will just be easier to use Magma.  And the research algebra
community is really not THAT big - certainly not of the people who are
qualified, have time to work on code, and desire to.

And for areas where research stuff in Sage has been thriving, no matter how
low the (say) Magma license is, if it doesn't really have support for your
field, better to start from scratch - which is a lot of what we've seen.