Am Mittwoch, 27. August 2014 11:17:59 UTC+2 schrieb wstein:

> I tried to port Sage to mingw once, back when it was easier (2006),
> and failed already at building Python.
> There was a huge page with hacks to maybe do it back then, but they
> weren't working.
> There's a stackoverflow question now about this problem:
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15365249/build-python-with-mingw-and-gcc
>
> " Python does not build out of the box with MinGW, let alone for Win64."
>
> and another suggests this fork of Python 3.4 that's meant to build on
> mingw:  https://bitbucket.org/puqing/python-mingw
>
> but there are issues entitled "Build fails on mingw (msys)" down the
> right side of the screen...
>
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpf...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:

> have
> >> Many packages in Sage do not support cross-compiling. For example, the
> >> Python build toolchain does not really support cross-compiling.
> >
> > Sure, but GMP/MPIR/MPFR/FLINT do.
> > You can even run testsuites using Wine64 :)
> >
> > --
> <javascript:>.
> > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel.

> William Stein
> Professor of Mathematics
> University of Washington
> http://wstein.org
> wst...@uw.edu <javascript:>

It seems this discussion about sage on windows surfaces periodically.
The virtual image is the most practical solution at the moment.

My arguments:
a) a native windows port is not realistic.
b) cygwin needs constant care and code maintainance, New versions of sage
may or may not build. It has a speed penalty.
c) I built an andlinux version 3 years ago. This was not too hard and has a
good integration with the windows desktop on the surface. Under the hood
there are, like william stein mentioned, possible crashes, a speed penalty
(similar cygwin) and rough edges. The project is no longer maintained and
it is 32 bit only.
d) the speed penalty will also hit other colinux based versions, I guess it
is also only 32 bit.

Arguments for the virtual image:
The virtual image has almost no speed penalty. It can always build on a
proven stable linux OS, so there is no extra cost for development. The size
should bot be a problem. Although a complete OS will not ship (not even
Puppy as mentioned) with 50 MB, it is possible to build a stable base OS
without desktop (no X) at around 50 - 70 MB - this size values refere to a
compressed image. This has not to be "Puppy" but can be e.g. Debian, or
probably Fedora. A few years ago I build Sage virtual machines around 400
MB (compressed image), I estimate that today this could be around 700 - 800
MB. A few years ago there was also  "make stripped" build option which
should build a smaller, but full functional sage image, I don't know the
present stage of this developement.

The easiest approach to improve the user experience would be to write a
windows GUI to communicate with the VM over its commandline parameters. So
you can handle operation mode (headless mode, notebook), data transfer and
lots of other things. This could take care of most user inconveniences.

For the installation process I once wrote a windows installer which
installed Virtualbox (if no Virtualbox or an older version was detected)
together with the the Sage VM, I think it even had some menu entries to
start the notebook etc. This should still work, although it is not tested
on windows 8.

This is the link to the sage-windows thread about this combined installer:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-windows/yoAcv8W5Fw0

unfortunately the download links over there don't work any more...

To sum up, enduser experience of the VM approach could be improved quite
easily.
But whatever, everybody who is online can use the SageCloud. This should
take care for most users independent of OS.

Cheers
emil