The Permutation0 might be a good idea, I don't know... It wouldn't change
the tuple vs. list thing which is used to distinguish between the cycle
notation and the word notation.

I agree some of the syntax could be improved. But I do think backward
compatibility is important. It's really annoying when you have to rewrite
ALL your old personal code when you update your sage version (which happens
all the time), and I know it's a put-off for many people (and Sage has
quite a bad reputation for it).

Also, Nathann, please do not assume that you represent all the Sage coders.
I'm a Sage coder and user, and I use 1-Permutation. I use them ALL THE TIME
and I need them.  In every single of my programs, because permutation is my
main object of study!  And the users you seem to so easily ignore are
contributors too. They contribute to algorithms and maps on permutations
that are useful to everyone. The fact is that in the math world, in every
single paper about the symmetric group, the permutations are 1-Permutations
and it makes sense to have them.

As Volker says, it's an old debate and you can't just erase everyone else's
work and point of views because it suits you. The fact that it makes you
lose time is bad and yes, we have to do something about it. But there is no
simple answer and people are making efforts to handle all these different
situations as best as they could.

Cheers

Viviane