>> Does Math directorate pay for programmers to write open-source versions
> of commercial software?
>
> Or are these topics designating novel algorithms and data structures?

Take a look at the list below and decide for yourself.  There will always
be mathematics not yet implemented in any system that is worth exploring;
this is the new reality of research at the boundaries of what is known in
mathematics - or is it that new?
 http://www.ams.org/notices/200610/fea-booker.pdf

Imagine what Gauss could have done with quadratic forms had he had a modern
computer.   (Or Beethoven with a modern piano... maybe a bit too loud in
that case.)

> Just asking.

As always.

Particular areas we would like to emphasis are representation theory of