To the extent that a code of conduct looks like an attempt to limit
freedom of speech, it may be counterproductive.  It is possible to
legislate "politeness" by moderating newsgroups.  I suppose it is
possible to resolve disagreements about the course of open software
development by
(a) achieving consensus
(b) force (imposition of some authority to make decisions)
  or
(c) forking a project.

Is this a well-known  negative of open source development (resolving
disputes?)  Has it been explored in journals? (I'm not well-read on whatever
literature there is on open source pro/con  recently.)
RJF