On Friday, November 14, 2014 7:06:56 AM UTC-8, kcrisman wrote:

>> If person A verbally attacks person B, I still think it does not help to
>> show a *disapproving* reaction towards person A, because then A may feel
>> attacked, which may make his/her behaviour even worse, and which
>> wouldn't help B at all. Instead, I suggest to show a *supporting*
>> reaction
>> towards person B, in order to make B stronger and prevent damage.
>>

> Yes, that is correct.  Especially in the highly fragmented and
> open-to-misinterpretation text-only domain we live in.
>
> > Is this a well-known  negative of open source development (resolving
> > disputes?)  Has it been explored in journals? (I'm not well-read on
> whatever
> > literature there is on open source pro/con  recently.)
> > RJF
>
> rjf, I (once again) *highly* recommend Steven Weber's
> http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674018587 "The Success of
> Open Source", in particular the chapters on self-governance in open source,
> as a place to start reading about this.

Ironically, Weber's book is itself not free, but is sold for $24.50.
Maybe his belief in open whatever does not
extend to the intellectual property that he himself produces..
Can you provide a link to an open discussion of this matter?
(while I could perhaps borrow a copy from a library, there are people who
might not
have access to a library copy.  etc.)

> There are also numerous articles in various collections on this issue, but
> somewhat surprisingly there is a lot of repetition - the researchers on
> this seem to focus on motivation and economic success, or other
> socio-economic issues, and less on the socio-political aspect which is just
> as important.  There are also several mildly scholarly histories of e.g.
> Linux that go in far too much detail about the damage (and the good) that
> Torvald's personality does there.  But there is certainly an abundance of
> anecdotal stuff regarding this out there, just not often well-organized -
> it comes in the midst of other discussions.

I question the claim made by some people that Linux (the base operating
system) is an example of sophisticated programming.  The collection of
everything that runs on Linux is impossible to assess.

> And someone asked about RTM style comments - yes, we do get those, more's
> the pity, though Sage is pretty good about such things, largely thanks to
> the tone William set very early on.  But there is still some of it, which
> is why at least having a non-penalty-based 'honor code' sort of "out there"
> could be useful as a place to gently remind people that we're not just
> working for the 20-odd people replying to this thread, but for hundreds or
> thousands watching.

If they come in via Google Groups, are they not counted?