Hi!

On 2014-11-15, P Purkayastha <ppu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can just follow some guidelines. I am a member of the Gentoo Linux
> forums and they have very clear statements saying what is considered
> inappropriate in the forums. In gist,
>
> 1. No personal attacks,
> 2. No offensive language

That's where we would see disagreement already. For example, person A
claims something, and person B answers that what A claims is
"inconsistent".
I can speak from experience that some people (e.g., far too many teachers)
would believe that B was offensive, whereas I would say that B was just
stating a fact (that may be true or false, but in any case is not
offensive).

And when you have a code of conduct stating that one shouldn't launch
personal attacks or use offensive language, then it just states the
obvious. Hence, such code would be useless. Worse, some people (including
myself) tend to feel offended if they are told obvious things, and may
react accordingly. Damage would result.

Please don't forget: No code of conduct (and no criminal law, for that
matter) can prevent people from commiting erratic behaviour. What really
matters is: How to minimize the negative consequences of individual
erratic behaviour to our community?

Rather than having a list of "thou shalt not"s, telling people what not
to do on our mailing lists, I think it would be better to suggest what
to do when people on the list are hurt by other people on the list. How
to increase the likelyhood that the offender will return to actual
contribution? How to prevent the offended from quitting?

Best regards,
Simon