> > This pull a lot of (unclean) garbage into my history so I am guessing
> that,
> > on principle, Nathan would refuse to review such patches when they are
> done.
>
> Nathann-bashing has become a game or what ?...

I read that as just repeating what you said as a statement, but I may have
misread it?

> I would see nothing wrong with that branch. By the way on trac the
> diff file would only show the content of your branch.
>
> The problem with your method is that you change all timestamps. I do
> it reverse: fetch the remote branch, and merge it into develop. No
> change in the timestamps.

See, the fact that one has to understand all these things - ALL OF WHICH
ARE NON-MATHEMATICAL - is the entire problem.  I agree with John that one
shouldn't have to wait forever for a recompilation - during which it is
presumably not safe to try other branches on the same Sage install? - when
just checking a minor change. I also now always *review* by branching from
develop and then pulling the branch to that 'safe' branch, but even then
when I go back to develop sometimes it takes exceedingly long.
 See https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/iGxa2F01rFc/ERRec52gHY0J

Also part of the problem is the use of 'make' that is recommended; I've
gone back to sage -b and sometimes that helps.