I agree with Travis.

You declared that "unnecessary merges are bad" and from that line we
find ourselves with bigger problems, i.e. those that are faced by the
beginners when they first review a ticket or write one.

When doing a review the merge is unimportant as it will never be pused
to the branch.

When working on a ticket we often have to merge anyway as the branch
becomes incompatible with the latest beta.

I have seen branches with bad git history and the problem was not the
many merge commits: it was the lack of proper/clear commit messages.
Also, they misunderstood the role of commits: they are there to make
sense to the reviewer, and to help him understand how the code is
written.

I have been working this way since the beginning and I do not think
anybody found my branches particularly messy.

If you want to insist on the religious point that "unnecessary merges
are bad", I really believe that this is how we should teach our
newcomers, for it is already sufficiently painful to contribute at
first, with all rules we have for code. And you can enforce a religion
on them later on if you want to.

Nathann