On 02/19/15 01:25, Julien Puydt wrote:
Hi,

Le 18/02/2015 13:13, William Stein a écrit :
Hi Sage Developers,

Several people and events have suggested to me that the official name
of "Sage" should be filled out to be "SageMath", like the website url
(which is sagemath.org and has been since I bought it in 2006).    One
motivation is that a trademark search [1] for Sage shows over 1100
results, whereas a search for "SageMath" gives 0 results.  Another
motivation is that many other software products are called Sage, which
causes confusion.

This change could be pretty **minimal**, at least initially.  The
actual command name and "sage:" prompt wouldn't change, and we would
still call it "sage" in discussions, emails, etc.  It's just that the
full name of the software is "SageMath", so Math is sort of a
disambiguating last name. However, the website would change from
beginning with "Sage is a free open-source mathematics software system
licensed ..." to "SageMath is a free open-source mathematics software
system licensed ...", and we would encourage using the tag "sagemath"
in places like stackoverflow.  And there would be a FAQ entry.

Personally, in the very long run I think this is the right thing to do
to help our users avoid confusion and to be respectful to the many
other projects called just "Sage".   I don't want this to turn into a
bikeshedding discussion, with a million suggestions for names.  I also
don't think any other name change would make sense or be as seamless
except maybe "SageMaths" (I'm curious if SageMath sounds really bad to
non-Americans?)

[1]
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4807:xnwk8p.1.1

"sagemath" is a nice name, already used by the other distributions which
try to package sage-the-software.

Really? I thought I was doing sage-on-gentoo not sagemath-on-gentoo.
Anyway I am OK with sagemath.

Francois