> On 19/02/2015, at 22:19, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
>
> On 2015-02-19 08:31, Marc Mezzarobba wrote:
>> On a perhaps related note, Sage used to be about "building the car",
>> didn't it?
> I would say it still is about "building the car". I think this refers to
> using dependencies where possible. Instead of writing our own functions to
> compute in number fields, we wrap PARI's number field functionality.
>
> What you do is to take only certain parts of the Sage car, change the
> bodywork and then complain that the wheels no longer fit.
>
>> I find it ironic how hard sage makes it for other projects
>> to rely on it
> You seem to think that Sage is actively making it hard for other projects. I
> simply think that the way how Sage development is done is fundamentally
> incompatible with what the distros want.

I would agree with that. Especially binary distros.

> I think this sentence from Volker is completely on the spot:
>> -1 to delaying a Sage version for $DISTRO to catch up.

I have some flexibility but I have been managing to keep sage-on-gentoo
on top for a number of years now with an occasional hiccup during beta/rc.

Occasionally sage doesn’t move fast enough for me and I must say
I think I am starting to suffer from fatigue.

Still it is cool to be able to do:
fbissey@QCD-nzi3 ~ $ python
Python 2.7.9 (default, Dec 27 2014, 00:03:19)
[GCC 4.9.2] on linux2
>>> import sage

with your system python.

François