Le 19/02/2015 19:14, Bruno Grenet a écrit :

Le 18/02/2015 18:35, Jeroen Demeyer a écrit :
On 2015-02-18 17:59, Bruno Grenet wrote:
It would be nice for both Debian and Sage to have Sage
included in Debian.
Nice, yes, but not at any cost. There are advantages, but we should also consider the disadvantages.

Just to put it simply, I've heard many times concerning Sage the following comment:

"I don't want to install it, it's just too huge! It doesn't make sense to reinstall a full Linux distribution inside my distribution..."

Frankly, I am pretty sure that there are users to gain here. For instance, the size of Sage installation is a barrier for some Maple (or Mathematica, or M*) users that I try to convince to give Sage at least a try! ¹

The only argument I see against making the efforts to have sage included into Debian (for instance) is if one considers that Sage has not enough maturity yet for the effort to be worthwhile. But it seem inevitable that at some point, we, the sage developers, will have to tackle this task!

Bruno

¹ Of course, the different solutions to use sage online are a possible workaround, but some people are reluctant to use a software online are prefer invoking it from their terminal.

P.S.: I've tried to download the latest 6.5 version to see the exact size once uncompressed. I've run out of space on my laptop! Of course, its hard drive is pretty full but that's a symptom I guess...