Hi Simon,
Thanks for the feedback

El jueves, 19 de febrero de 2015, 18:23:27 (UTC+1), Simon King escribió:

> Hi Enrique,
>
> On 2015-02-19, Enrique Artal <enriqu...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> >    1. For the first one, it was already reported, with an open ticket,
> but
> >    I am worried about it since it produces wrong outputs.
>
> If there is an open ticket for it, then there is no need to report it
> again. However, if it gives wrong results and is not fixed soon then I
> think
> there should be a different ticket adding a "stopgap" (that will print a
> warning to the user that the computation may have a wrong result. Has
> the stopgap ticket not been opened as well?

Not really. I do not know how to do it but I hope I will have some help
tomorrow in my University

> >    Maybe the point is that for Singular the actual ring defined as
> >    R is not the polynomial ring but the localization by the order
>
> That's very likely the problem. And I think that the cleanest solution
> would be to take this into account by changing the string representation
> of a
> polynomial ring in local ordering: It should not be called
> "polynomial ring over ... with generators ..." but "localisation at ...
> of polynomial ring over ... with generators ...".

I agree

> > (i.e., we
> >    can divide by any non-zero polynomial whose leading term is a
> constant); in
> >    fact, for algorithmic purposes one always works with polynomials
> (taking
> >    out the possible denominators wisely), but the ring is not a
> polynomial. I
> >    guess that a small change in the way of dividing polynomial would
> suffice.
>
> Very probably not. We would need to deviate from the polynomial backend
> (i.e., Singular) fairly much to implement this, which would be
> complicated and slow.

I think you are right; I think that Singular performs only polynomial
computations while knowing that the actual ring is larger and this is OK
for any point of view. I do not know if providing the right mathematical
answer to division may force to complicate somehow the types of elements in
the local rings.

> >    2. When doing some test for the above problem I realize that
> *R.<x>=PolynomialRing(QQ,order='neglex')
> >    *does not take into account the order (the above *f* is not a unit).
>
> Yes, it is, since the ring is in fact localised.
>
> >    This is not really an issue, the problem is the fact that the
> function
> >    accept the entry *order* but it ignores it silently.
>
> Ahm, why do you think it is ignored?

I have rechecked that
*R.<t>=PolynomialRing(QQ,order='neglex');(1+t).is_unit()* yields False

> Best regards,
> Simon

Best regards, Enrique