> That's perhaps a bit problematic at the moment; also, at least some
> tests may require internet access (although we could tag them
> accordingly).  Should we document/test their versions as well?

Technically, the list of standard packages is available in Sage
directly (build/install). Maybe we should have a file whose content is
the list of standard packages (and only that) which build/install
could then load?

Volker, what do you think?

It seems that all lines in build/install are of the form
package_name=`newest_version package_name`. Couldn't we generate this
from the list of packages instead?

> Furthermore, in the "git layout" we only have "new-style" packages
> (which are currently still a subset of standard+optional), with no
> differentiation between standard and optional; there, experimental
> packages (and "the" huge one?) are missing completely AFAIK.

Yep, only those which have been converted into 'new-style' packages
appear there. Though you can get these lists with:
sage -standard
sage -optional
sage -experimental

All of them require an internet connection.

Nathann