Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 May 2015 20:55:16 UTC+1, leif wrote:
>
>     Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>     > On Wednesday, 13 May 2015 17:55:17 UTC+1, leif wrote:
>     >
>     >     Volker Braun wrote:
>     >     > IMHO:
>     >     >
>     >     > * The package type (standard/optional/experimental) should
>     be in a
>     >     file
>     >     > inside the package directory
>     >
>     > hmm...
>     >
>     > rather, how about SAGEROOT/build/pkg/standard/
>     > , SAGEROOT/build/pkg/optional/, etc?
>     >
>     > that's much more clear than all these lists...
>
>     But changing a single file in case the category changes (from optional
>     to standard, say) is certainly simpler (or less error-prone) than
>     moving
>     the whole folder.
>
>     And we wouldn't have to change the whole bunch of build and
>     package-related scripts.  (With an additional file, we'd need only
>     minor
>     changes to treat e.g. optional packages differently when appropriate.)
>
> emulating a filesystem sucks.
> You'd have to write and maintain scripts that parse these custom file
> catalogs, etc etc etc.

We were not talking about a catalog, but an additional file for each
package, located in build/pkgs/$package/, which just contains
"standard", "optional", "experimental" or probably "base", say.

Having to determine (or defining) the category of a package by the
location of its data in the git / filesystem tree is pretty inconvenient
and IMHO more confusing, and only complicates things when its category
changes.

(On the other hand, we did indeed have at least one package where there
was a standard version and one or more optional versions at the same
time, namely GCC.  But with the "new-style" packages, or the "new
layout", the option to install a different version than that hardcoded
into the specific Sage version unfortunately vanished anyway.  It's not
impossible, but far from straight-forward, and certainly nothing for an
"end user".  Same for upgrading just a specific package, from .pN to
.pM, say, which is a typical but now unsupported use case for users with
build problems.)

-leif