I am only proposing to fork a package with a dead upstream. I wouldn’t do it
with a live one. Nevertheless I understand that it makes me look like I am
saying two contradictory things at the same time.

To be clear with a rant of my own. If you fork a live project you’ll have to
live
with the divergence and have to make a choice of using one or the other.
You may as well rename the thing if you are going to fork and diverge, that’s
being honest.

You don’t have to deal with the potential for divergence with a dead project.
You are only diverging with the old dead body the same way that you may diverge
from version 1 to version 2 of a software, but there will not be a competing
branch
for the new version you release. A name change is probably still a good idea
to signal new ownership.

François