> On 12/06/2015, at 21:18, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
>
> On 2015-06-11 10:31, Julien Puydt wrote:
>> Open software is about cooperation.
> Of course. The question is: what should we do if upstream does not want to
> cooperate? I don't want to call names in this thread, but I have proposed
> patches to many upstream projects which are part of Sage (usually they are
> small bugfixes). The chances of actually getting a patch accepted by upstream
> are unfortunately much smaller than I would wish.

That’s very unfortunate, you expect some rejections but your report of low
number is still annoying.

> Some people think that Sage should only add patches to upstream packages if
> they are accepted by upstream. This is frustrating, because it really slows
> down Sage development.

Having been around sage since 2007, I have accepted the fact that not
all of the patches in sage will be upstreamed. Even at a linux distro level
that’s a pipe dream - have you seen the list of patches that go into your
distro?
How many of these will be accepted upstream? Probably less than you would
imagine.

Nevertheless, it is uncomfortable, I am sure that I have been one the people
that prompted that remark, it is even written somewhere on trac.

There are weighted decisions and I do not want to be painted all black or
white. I am the sage-on-gentoo maintainer and anything that is not accepted
in the main Gentoo tree, I carry it in my tree and the maintenance is mine to
do.
If the package is only in my tree, I won’t be fussy adding sage patches.

If the package is in the main tree and widely used, well the barrier for entry
of the patch to the main tree has just dramatically increased, even more so
if 1) it is not accepted upstream 2) it adds a “feature” rather than fix
something
that will break for many people (the line between feature and bug may sometimes
be blurry). In that case, I will carry a fork of the distro package with all
the burden
that implies when trying to maintain coherence with the distro and steal the
main
tree own various fixes (it’s been a while since sage-on-gentoo has relied on
maxima from the main tree…).

So I am looking at sage trac and I see one of those major, widely used, package
and upstream reject the patch. Do I want to review the inclusion? Well it is a
bit like asking if I am a masochist (considering how long I have been doing
sage-on-gentoo it is a really good question). So on that principle I won’t
review it.
Someone else may review it positively, I am not the only reviewer available
after
all, and then I’ll have to do my masochistic bit anyway.

May be Jeroen is right, may be I should cut the middle man and do the review
anyway.

François