Hi there,

I wasn't able to find the following functionality: Let W =
PermutationGroup(gens) be a permutation group and let w in W. Find a
*shortest* expression as a group of w as a word in gens and their
inverses.

w.word_problem() finds a word, but this has not necessarily the
shortest possible length. In GAP3 there was such a functionality which
I currently use.

* Is there already such functionality in Sage (and I was simply ignorant)?

* Does anyone know how to achieve this using Sage and GAP4?

* Should I open a ticket and provide GAP3 code for this functionality
for permutation groups?

Thanks!

    Christian