> the reason must be efficiency. E.g. for permutation groups one would work
> with a strong generating set S, rather than the original generators;
> expressing an element in terms of S is very quick, and then you hold
> expressions for each element of S in terms of the original generators
> (which need not be the shortest one); so you get some kind of expression
> quite quickly.

I agree, but I still wonder why gap is not providing also an algorithm
along the Cayley graph. Or would you expect that to be slower than the
algorithm used in `Factorization` ? But even if it were, it wouldn't need
to run through the complete group for elements that are close to the
identity in the Cayley graph (i.e., which have short reduced
factorizations).

Since this means that there is no algorithm available for big groups, it
might be nice to have that in sage by adding the naive algorithm to the
perm_grp element class, don't you think so?