> There are two factors here:
> 1) libcsage is gone in the upcoming sage 6.8.

  Ok. I would prefer it kept around as a "generic" place to add
wrappers, or better saying "hacks" :)

> 2) I bit the bullet and used the pari git snapshot used in sage
> for sage-on-gentoo.

  I noticed arch did the same:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/pari-sage/
But I would still prefer to, as much as possible, and to avoid
bureaucracy, to use the upstream pristine version.

> This was not a light decision. I looked at the packages depending
> of pari and I found they were in two class:
> a) packages using an outdated (pari 2.3) interface to pari. Those
> are clisp and perl binding to pari. For those if you want to use pari
> you would have to provide an outdated version for their use.

  Currently I am a co-maintainer of pari in Fedora. The official
maintainer "kind of" inherited it, to provide the perl bindings.
I am  a bit unsure about clisp interfaces, but the main
maintainer is of clisp is very friendly to sage, so he should
not "block" work on getting everything in place.

> b) all the other packages I knew to be depending on pari are
> in sage. They will compile and work with the pari provided by
> sage, if sometimes with patches (lcalc for example).

  This is currently my major issue, if creating a pari-sage package,
it would also be required by all other packages, that, currently
only sagemath uses anyway... But getting it approved needs
to pass a "steering committee". Well, sorry for so many " so
far :)

> I don’t know any other packages depending on pari in Gentoo,
> I don’t know the situation in fedora but I suspect it will be similar.

  When I was maintaining a sagemath package in Mandriva it was
a bit easier, as I had "superpowers", but now, in Fedora I need
to follow any rules in place.

  I am still believing sagemath could become a standard package
in most distros, so, libcsage is/was a place to add wrappers to
sage specific patches, otherwise, sagemath should really, really,
rely only on released upstream releases or third party packages.

> François

Thanks,
Paulo