I never said it'd hurt to ask again.  Heck, I'd even send the email.
As far as I know, Robert Miller and I are the only people who have
read the source of NICE, and we're both in industry now.  I need
faster isomorphism tests than Sage provides, and neither of us has
made any improvements to that code for years.  Inclusion of nauty
would be awesome.

To clarify: what I'm uncomfortable with is the statement "you can
ignore it [for Sage]".  If that means that we can _delete_ the
restriction from his license file, then that's great and a complete
raw email message might hold up in court.  If it means that we are
expected to ship code containing a GPL-incompatible license, that
sounds like pretty shaky ground from my lay-understanding: his
statement implies (to me) that he does not recognize that the GPL is
viral (or does not recognize that Sage is under the GPL).  Best to
make sure he knows what he's getting into.