On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 04:44:20PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
>    On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 10:17 AM, William Stein <[1]wst...@gmail.com>
>    wrote:
>
>    Anyway, for me personally and SageMathCloud development, and also
>    support of Sage development at UW, this is a major blow.
>
>    All I can say is that I'm very bummed to hear this... I always admired
>    your success in securing resources for Sage (with a bit of envy :) when
>    I wasn't able to do so for IPython, and I only wish that today we could
>    have resources for *both*.
>    I tried to learn a lot from watching everything you did with looking
>    for resources for Sage, and FWIW, I also haven't had great luck with
>    the federal agencies.  My only success with the NSF has been with stuff
>    that's only tangentially related to ipython/scipy, whereas grants where
>    i went "head first" into the software (even solicitations that were
>    "software infrastructure" didn't fare so well).
>    This is a cautionary note that, even though IPython and ODK are doing
>    OK right now, the next cycle may well look very different for us too...
>    Grant funding is a fickle business, which is why I continue wishing SMC
>    sustained commercial success, so that it can have actual *revenue* to
>    invest in Sage itself for the long haul.
>    The question of how to fund our work in a sustainable fashion for the
>    really long haul, as our teams get larger (and thus more expensive)
>    keeps me up at night...
>    All I can say at this point is that I hope the work we'll do on
>    Jupyter, and indirectly with our colleagues at ODK (we'll have some of
>    the Jupyter folks there too) will continue providing benefits to Sage!

+1 to each and every item above.

We, European devs, have benefited from NSF funding for Sage in
numerous occasions (Sage days, visits, ...) when we had no funding
here. We will do our best to reciprocate this with ODK.

For the longer run, a strategy I will explore in depth will be to try
to secure some *permanent* full time dev position(s), typically at
LRI. I have no clue of the odds though, so don't hold your breath.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/