> Now every time you run "make ptestlong" you will see doctest failures
> related to Mathematica. Those failures cannot really be fixed, since the
> features that the doctests need are not available in the old version of
> Mathematica on your machine.

If your problem is with an ancient version of Mathematica which we
know is not supported by Sage, then we must detect that and not run
the optional mathematica tests (because it is not supported).

And once this is done, there will be two nice outcomes:
- Whoever runs the doctests with an ancient mathematica version will
not automatically run those tests (because the version is too old)
- Whoever runs 'mathematica(1)' with an unsupported version of
mathematica will see an exception saying "Your version of mathematica
is not supported".

> Would you be bothered by the fact that you will always see those doctest
> failures that you cannot get rid of, just because somebody installed an
> outdated version of Mathematica on that machine?

So that this does not apply anymore.

Nathann