IMHO showing a warning that you are about to do something stupid but then
proceeding to do so is a terrible user interface. Also, I don't like
command line utilities that ask stupid questions (a.k.a. the windows UI
style).

Really, I still don't know a use case where you actually want to search the
list of old-style packages. All the old-style packages that I recently
tried don't work. Back when we switched to the new-style packages I already
went through the list old-style packages and converted everything that made
sense to me and worked on my machine.  E.g. chomp doesn't build.

I do, however, see lots of very good examples for why its terribly
confusing to install old-style packages for unsuspecting users. For
starters:

* The "python" package is ancient, you really want the new "python2" or
"python3" packages. Nobody is going to figure that one out

* TOPCOM vs. topcom, which one is current?

If you really want to use old-style packages then thats fine, just specify
the full url to the spkg. The only old-style spkg on the Sage mirrors that
is actively developed is Simon's, and he is most likely better served by
providing the spkg at some place that is under his direct control and
telling his users the full url.