On 2015-09-09, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 5:30:54 PM UTC+2, Simon King wrote:
>>
>> For the record: A deprecation warning does *not* mean that the user is
>> about to do something stupid, but that (s)he is doing something that used
>> to be supported but soon will not be.
>>

> Exactly, which is why a deprecation warning is not appropriate here. The
> intent is NOT to tell the user "use this new command to install an outdated
> package".

The version of my cohomology spkg on the sage server (2.1.4) is broken because
of backward incompatible changes in SageMath that were labelled as
"internal changes". So, no deprecation needed.

However, if I understand correctly, there are old style spkgs that *would*
install correctly (version 2.1.5 of my spkg does work). In these cases, I
believe the right thing to do is: Give a warning that, although the spkg
works now, SageMath will stop to support it in about one year.

> We just want the user to not install the outdated package.

Exactly. It is a *conscious* decision to make something fail that used to
work. And it is also a conscious decision to go around and say that
using old-style packages is stupid (well, it used to be not stupid for
years...) and that preventing an optional package from working has a
benefit for the average user.

Best regards,
Simon