Hello,

> Something else: Of course each package has a maintainer resp. an
> upstream contact. Can this information be automatically extracted?

Err. Well, "not always". Yesterday Dima converted a .spkg to
new-style, but that package did not include a SPKG.txt file (so no
official maintainer either). And the 'graphs' package contains my
name, though without email. This, to say that we probably can't assume
that the current data exists.

> Then,
> if an error occurs during installation, for whatever reason, the error
> message could clearly state: "Please contact f...@bar.com about the
> problem." If I recall correctly, the current error messages only
> mention sage-devel.

I do not have your faith that *all* of the guys who appear as
maintainers of a package would, when receiving such a bug report,
immediately fix it or make sure that it will not be forgotten. Asking
people to write to sage-devel sounds safer to me.

Nathann