On 10 September 2015 at 14:02, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:

> On 2015-09-10, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am I right that Simon's package is one (perhaps the only one) for which
> (B)
> > would be useful?  If that is true then I don't wish to make things hard
> for
> > Simon.  But then I don't know what the obstacles are to converting his
> spkg.
>
> Partially my ignorance.
>
> Partially the fact that the code is divided into three parts. The first
> has a proper upstream (MeatAxe), but we use a very old version (that said,
> even the latest version is several years old, and does not appear to be
> faster, but has almost all function names changed). The other two parts are
> not published elsewhere, and somehow it seems odd to me to artificially
> create an upstream repository, as the spkg *IS* the upstream repository
> (but perhaps I am the only one who finds it odd...).
>
> Anyway, it currently looks like the spkg will be converted to a
> new-style package.

Has anyone started?  AFter reading the above I just downloaded MeatAxe
2.4.24 (2011) and very easily built it (make check OK);  all one has to do
is copy Makefile to Makefile.conf and edit 2 lines, as I am sure you know.

One way to proceed would be to make a new-style package out of the MeatAxe
source first.  The your 2nd and 3rd parts would be separate, but with
MeatAxe as a dendency.  The first part would take about 20 minutes to do....

John