On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 2:12:57 PM UTC-10, William wrote:

> It will be much easier for our users to actually *use* a converter if
> we delay changing the defaults until after such a converter is
> written.

++1 (OK, I guess that's an error in most language).

It's going to be a relatively unpleasant surprise for people if they start
up the "sage notebook" and find a different notebook. We could possibly
alleviate the problem of lack of information by somehow guessing if this is
the first time this user starts up sage ipython notebook (and perhaps only
if we detect there is evince of a sagenb) and startup with a document that
explains how to do migration.

If the default changes, then most users will assume they are supposed to
change with it (and we should only do this once we think users should
change, e.g., when interacts work)

At the very least there should be a method to:
 - start the classic notebook
 - save a collection of worksheets (sagenb)
 - convert them to ipynb, at least in a way that works for "simple"
worksheets. Attached files etc. are obviously going to be an issue.

If we don't have a tool that makes it straightforward to do this migration
then we're not ready to change defaults, in my opinion.