Jason, thanks for your quick replies, very informative.

What if we used something like ProseMirror for the markdown editor?
>> http://prosemirror.net/
>> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fprosemirror.net%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGffQNgkbKxP7b-m_JhCscRj_P5wg>.
>>
>> Would that help? Right now we use Codemirror.

This seems like a step in the right direction.  We don't need "flawless"
copying of TinyMCE, for instance, but no ability to do wysiwyg in the text
cells would definitely be unfortunate for that market segment, as it were.

This?  Even finding things between TinyMCE and md is
http://leeoniya.github.io/reMarked.js/