On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:29 AM, Clemens Heuberger
<clemens.heuber...@aau.at> wrote:
> On 2016-02-23 16:57, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
>> On 2016-02-23 15:50, Clemens Heuberger wrote:
>>> It is also impossible to compile Sage 6.5 nowadays
>>
>> I assume this was a build from git? That's indeed not supported. A real
>> build-from-source-tarball should still work.
>
> yes, I tried to build from git. I found the tarball in the meantime and am
> currently compiling it.
>
> How long do we support old tarballs?

Forever.  The first-ever release of Sage is here:
http://old.files.sagemath.org/src-old/    However, "support" only
means that if you setup a VM or computer with a supported OS from then
(e.g., some old debian or redhat) then you can build using *that* OS.
We definitely don't update old tarballs to keep running on new
versions of Linux; that would be impossibly hard, and get harder every
time we do a new release.

> As an illustration, one of the problems I encountered:
>
> cheuberg@rk01-math:/local/sage$ sage-6.7/sage -c "if x != infinity: print
> 'yes'"
> yes
> cheuberg@rk01-math:/local/sage$ sage-6.8/sage -c "if x != infinity: print
> 'yes'"
>
> Relying on the old behaviour was probably a bug, but behaviour changed anyhow
> without a deprecation.

It seems to me that

sage: x = var('x')
sage: bool(x!=infinity)
False

*is* a newly introduced bug.  I can't understand how the above
behavior could be justified, especially given that

sage: bool(x != 2)
True

People do introduce bugs into Sage...

 -- William