Hi all,

I've been working for a few weeks on an installer for Sage on Windows,
which takes advantage of Docker to accomplish this.*  The goal of this
project is to make it possible to run Sage on Windows with as much
transparency as possible, such that the user isn't really aware that
there is any virtualization involved.  As you can read in my report
for the OpenDreamKit project on Docker containers [1] there are limits
to this.

However, in the ideal case a user simply downloads and runs an
executable--clicks through a graphical install wizard, and then gets a
desktop icon which launches a Jupyter notebook (with sage and terminal
support) in their default web browser.  Although there are still a few
rough edges [2] the alpha version of the Sage for Windows installer
that I have for you today does just that:

https://github.com/embray/sage-windows/releases/download/v1a1/SageMath-7.0-1a1-fat.exe

My hope is for this to eventually be adopted into the SageMath project
as the "official" distribution for Windows, replacing the existing
VM-based solution as I believe that this gives an overall
lighter-weight and more transparently "native" user experience.  In
the future the same approach could also be adopted--I think--to
provide a "local" installation of SMC.

Now, if anyone with access to a Windows machine (Windows 7 or newer),
it would be a big favor if I could get a few testers to bang this
around a bit and see what breaks and what works and what could be
improved.

To be clear, right now it only supports running the notebook, though
I'm also working on making it possible to run `sage` at a Windows
command prompt (almost working).  Also be aware if you try to test
this: The biggest limitation for now (as described also in [1]) is
that for Docker on Windows hardware virtualization support is required
to be enabled.  If this is not enabled the most likely outcome is that
the installer will fail with an error message like "Could not start
Docker VM". In this case you will have to grub around in your BIOS
settings to find hardware assisted virtualization support--this of
course is going to be the most difficult aspect of making this
available to "average" users.  A workaround may be possible but I'm
not sure yet.

Be aware also that the installer can take a few minutes to run (as
much as 5 minutes even on a reasonably fast machine) mostly due to it
being highly compressed.

Anyways, I look forward to your questions and feedback!

Thanks,
Erik

* I'm aware of the irony that I only just recently chided someone on
this list for appearing dismissive of working on native Windows
support for sage, while at the same time promoting a VM based solution
for Windows :)  Nonetheless I intend this only to be a temporary
solution, albeit a nicer solution than currently exists for Windows.

[1]
https://github.com/OpenDreamKit/OpenDreamKit/wiki/D3.1-Virtual-images-and-containers#sagemath
[2] https://github.com/embray/sage-windows/issues