On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 4:50:10 PM UTC, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 3:33:11 PM UTC, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 3:06:46 PM UTC, Erik Bray wrote:

>>> having
>>>
>>> It should work.  I really ought to be doing that myself but I've been
>>> using a dedicated box (on the plus side that has revealed interesting
>>> things that occur during *uninstallation*).  I just don't have a
>>> license handy by which I could easily make a Windows VM.
>>>

>> let me try with Google Compute Engine if this will fly...
>>

> it does not work out of the box (I tried it on an GCE instance running
> Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter)
> the install bails out at the moment VirtualBox gets installed.
>
> It has left behind few things, one is Docker Quickstart Terminal.
> It I try it I get:
>
> Running pre-create checks...
> Error with pre-create check: "This computer doesn't have VT-X/AMD-v
> enabled. Enabling it in the BIOS is mandatory"
> Looks like something went wrong... Press any key to continue...
>
> I also got GIT GUI, Git Bash, and GIT CMD. (GIT GUI seems to work, I did
> not try others)
>
> Interestingly, I can install VirtualBox directly (just the default from
> their website), although when I try installing a guest OS, it tells me they
> must be 32-bit.
> (Does this mean that the host is 32-bit?)

well, it probably won't work this way, at least according to a number of
internet links, GCE cannot run nested VMs, at least not directly. There is
something by Oracle/Ravello that seems to be able to fill this gap.
As well, it is meant to be in some versions of the upcoming Windows update,
beta of which is already released...