On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Presently we distribute a number of tarballs that are copies of
> pip-installable Python packages, which are dependencies of something, and
> maintain placeholders for them in build/pkg/ (this will be completely true
> as soon as #14840 is merged).
> This is a lot of unnecessary stuff to carry around, and is quite different
> to what is done in pythonic (as well as ocaml, haskell, Macaulay2, etc)
> universe.
>
> My proposal is to get rid of these, and install pip-installable dependencies
> directly. Perhaps maintaining a catalog of such dependencies in some way;
> perhaps such facilities are provided by pip already, one needs to check this
> out.
> We may keep (some) placeholders in build/pkg, for the purpose of
> bootstrapping.
> One added advantage is  that we can provide a sane way to install packages
> which cannot be installed from distributed sources, such as ssl support.
>
> In case one wants all the sources needed for a complete Sage install
> packaged locally,
> this is easy to achieve by providing a custom pip repo; such a repo may
> become some kind of optional component.

Hi Dima,

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but I already started part
of this work back in http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/20218 which I'm
nearly done testing a patch for.

The above isn't the whole store because it just switches from using
`setup.py install` (which has problems that I described in the ticket)
to using `pip install --no-deps .` for installing most Python
packages.

You're talking about going a step further and I'm inclined to agree,
but I haven't looked at what the others have stated on this issue.
Still, I think something like #20218 would be a good starting point
before proceeding further.

Thanks,
Erik