On 04/16/2016 11:06 AM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> On 2016-04-16 16:19, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>> It gets us one step closer to a Sage that will use what's already
>> installed on the system.
>
> No, it does not do that. It's just a different way of installing packages.

I had `pip install --user` in mind.

Suppose I use pip to install libfoo as part of the sage-8.0
installation. Then I wipe out my sage-8.0 directory and try to install
sage-9.0. Wouldn't it find the libfoo that I already installed?

Those pip-installed libraries should persist, and that means our "does
this library exist?" test should be something like "import foo" and not
"is the libfoo directory exactly where I think it should be". The
"import foo" test would also pick up libfoo if I've installed it with my
system's package manager.