On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 5:46:20 PM UTC+2, William wrote:
>>
>> I read that github page, but I don't know what binary-pkg actually
>> does.
>

> It compiles Sage in a long directory path.
>

>> For context, I used to (1) build a copy of Sage, (2) possibly
>> customize it, then (3) type
>>
>>   ./sage -bdist <stuff>
>>
>> to make a binary from it.
>

> And then (4) the bundled gmp/readline/... would segfault your system
> gcc/bash/.., making it totally unusable. Unless you were lucky enough to use
> one of the most popular distros, where we would work around that by picking
> the right versions of libraries to not conflict.

My use case is building Sage on SageMathCloud (Ubuntu 15.10 right now)
for people to develop on SageMathCloud (on the exact same machine).
Obviously this does work -- we used Sage this way for 10 years very
productively.

> Then Apple disabled the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH hack, so OSX became overnight one
> of the affected platforms where the binaries did not work.

What you did fixing that problem and doing things right using rpath is
fantastic and I greatly appreciate it!!!

However, why did you have to completely eliminate all the very useful
functionality (related to bdist and copy) that does work fine in some
cases?

 -- William

--
William (http://wstein.org)