On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 8:51:40 PM UTC+2, William wrote:

> My use case is building Sage on SageMathCloud (Ubuntu 15.10 right now)
> for people to develop on SageMathCloud (on the exact same machine).

Then just put sage in the same path for everyone (with a private union
mount), thats really the best solution in that scenario. Getting this
really strong deja vu right now ;-)

However, why did you have to completely eliminate all the very useful
> functionality (related to bdist and copy) that does work fine in some
> cases?

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH really doesn't work for many, so we must not use it.

You can set it yourself in the environment after moving Sage, this may work
with the aforementioned caveats about conflicts with system libraries. And
change SAGE_LOCAL/lib/sage-current-location.txt to avoid the relocation
error message. But its definitely not the best solution.

In any case, I don't think saving an hour or two to serve this very special
usage is worth special casing how we build binaries.