On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 5:43 AM, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> What Sage IMHO really lacks is a true development (vs. stable) branch,
> along with different releases (for "developers" as opposed to "ordinary"
> users),[...]

This is mostly due to lack of people resources relative to the number
of people and size of the codebase.    Having multiple versions
increases the amount of stuff to deal with.     More precisely, we set
things up in that way early on for this reason, and it has continued
at least by momentum.

> But I think large parts of Sage are meanwhile that mature, that we may
> rethink the development / release strategy.

+1 to thinking :-)

Regarding this whole @experimental discussion (I never heard of
@experimental until just now), it seems like yet another case of
trying to use some awkward mechanism to get around ignorance of Python
packaging and modules.      Python has this amazing thing called
"Python libraries" and a "packaging system" (pip) that makes it
possible to write and share code with other people.    People should
check it out...

William

--
William (http://wstein.org)